Learning Support Overview
- All students reading, comprehension, spelling, and speech and language skills are assessed prior to starting at Notton House Academy.
- This gives staff an overview of the individual needs of the child to inform planning, teaching and intervention.
- All students are then re-assessed on a 6 monthly programme to monitor progress.
- Some pupils are identified for 1:1 support and additional intervention to help accelerate progress in reading, spelling and/ or to help with language and vocabulary development.
- Interventions are tailored for individual pupils.
- A specialist, external Speech and Language Therapist works with all staff to promote language development with our students and with intervention staff to provide a full formal assessment of identified students. The therapist helps with screening, target setting and staff development.
- The resources/schemes are used to meet the individual targets of each student.
Some of the resources and intervention materials are listed below;
- Rapid Read
- Rhodes to Language
- Black Sheep Press
- KS2 listening skills
- Talk Boost
- Word Aware
- Lego Group
- Language for Thinking
- Vocabulary Enrichment Intervention Programme
- Socially Speaking (pragmatic social skills programme)
- Language development games
January 2019 onwards...
We are delighted to have purchased two new online programmes to support and improve outcomes in reading, comprehension, and spelling.